Tuesday 20 May 2008

Giovani gives unclear signals about future

Asked about his future before he underwent a succesfull ankle operation yesterday, Barcelona right wing attacker and Mexican international Giovani dos Santos (19) said to journalists that he won't accept to leave on a loan deal in the summer, an option that has been suggested in the past weeks (read more here): "I would like to stay, but I don't want to be a nuissance. If I have to leave Barcelona one day, it will be for good. If a cycle at one place comes to an end, I think one shouldn't come back. I want to be succesfull, no matter where I play."

After he scored a hattrick on Saturday against Murcia, Giovani, who said he wasn't totally fit this season, said to Catalan sports paper Sport that his wish is to stay although he didn't exclude an exit: "It seems that Guadiola doesn't count on me. But this is only what the papers say, nothing more. I think that the club does count on me. To me they have said that I will continue, but I don't have cancelled other options yet. But if it depends on me, I stay in Barcelona. This club is my first option, because they gave me a lot of chances."

In an interview with Mexican newspaper El Centro the Brazilian born player nevertheless said (unconfirmedly) that he wants to leave because of how he was treated by the fans this season (read more here): "Barcelona wants me to stay, but I will have to think carefully about my situation. Being 19 years old, I'm not really looking at the economic side of things, but at the sports side. It will be my decision. Barcelona has given me everything and a part of me wants to stay, but there are details that hurt you, like the treatment by the fans. Nobody wants to be somewhere where he's not wanted."


If Giovani leaves, he thinks he'll end up in the English Premier League: "Everything seems to indicate that my future lies in England. It's my first option, they play a kind of football that is suited for me, so I would love to go and play there. Chelsea is an option, but not the only one." Giovani didn't deny that Manchester City and Tottenham are amongst the other candidates.

pep's note:
if that last interview is confirmed, it dates most probably from before the Murcia game

Read more:
Giovani agrees terms with Chelsea

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want him to stay!

Anonymous said...

If he stays I would beg Guardiola to play him in a midfielder position (up front) and finally put an end to the "winger" experiment. As of right now I'd have him as a backup to Iniesta in midfield. But if there was a chance he could get "significant" playing time somewhere else (on loan) I wouldn't mind that either. I don't think anyone can question that the talent's there, its just a matter of maturing more as a man first...Taking responsibility for your own actions and not being so "demanding" when you haven't earned anything yet! I'll say it again, what Gio needs most is a mentor. Someone to take him under their wing. Maybe, Guardiola who's not that far removed from the game can be that person to connect with him and shepperd him along in the right direction. You just gotta' have patience with the lad and not put so much undue, high expectations on him so soon. Easier said than done.

Anonymous said...

Gio .... move on!!! You are 19 and you are a fantastic player. At Barca, they played him at the wrong position plus he was injured most of the season, the stupid fans and shittier media treted him like crap on his first year. I say leave Barca and move on, Barca will not miss Gio because they can bring any player that money can buy, but at some point they will will realize their mistake. Who cares... anyway, play and enjoy the game where you can have fun!!!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search