Friday 27 June 2008

Eto'o wants to talk with Guardiola

Asked about his future, Barcelona forward and Cameroon international Samuel Eto'o (27) has said in an interview with Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport during a promotional event in Vienna that he wants to meet with Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola before making any decision on his future:

"I've never said that it wasn't for the club to decide on my future (read more here). I have only said that I didn't want to talk about it until after my vacations. I'm still in my days off and I just don't want to think about it now. When I return I will talk with the coach and with his collaborators about football issues and about the future. If we see each other again in twenty days, I will be able to tell you everything."

Guardiola has repeated at press conferences yesterday and today that he's not planning next season thinking about Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o (read more here) but he didn't exclude the players to stay in the end: "If they will start the pre-season with us, they will train with the group and will be threated exactly like the other players. And if it won't be possible to sell them, I will do anything to get the best out of them."

Catalan sports paper Sport claims that Barcelona and Inter Milan would be close to reach an agreement on a transfer of Samuel Eto'o for 25 million euro°. The main obstacle would be the approval of Eto'o, who wants to leave Barcelona in a dignified way.

Barcelona economic vice president Ferran Soriano said earlier this week in an interview with Catalan radio station RAC 1 that it would be better if Eto'o left the club: "The technical department says that he has lost the motivation to play at Barcelona and Samuel himself thinks the same."

Read more:
Eto'o prefers to stay
Benzema likes Barcelona
Eto'o for sale

9 comments:

pep said...

25 million euro =

39 million us dollar
20 million british pound

Anonymous said...

I think he still is motivated.The words he just spoke say it all to me. I love him. I think he has learned from his mistakes in the past.Talk with the man pep and I'm certain you'll convince him. he is a better player than adebayor or berbatow. more letal!

Anonymous said...

Its nice to hear this, my original thought was that PepG had held meetings with all three and deemed them unsalvagable, which really bugged me, because who would not like take a 2nd lifeline.

If Eto stays, then Im sure he would of proved it to Pep that he is there for the team and that things need to change.

However Barcelona cant keep Eto and Ronaldinho, one liability must go, I think.

Anonymous said...

If we had to choose one of Eto'o or Ronaldinho, I think it's clear that the African should stay.

Anonymous said...

25mil for Eto'o? How on God's green earth can he be valued for less than Adebayor and Villa? If true I bet Mourinho's doing backflips right now. Every other club seems to be overinflating their asking prices for players. Except Barcelona who seem willing to give away their players for peanuts!

Anonymous said...

I said it before barca board are stupid people.they should leave even.how eto for just 25m???

Anonymous said...

I personally think Guardiola is simply excited. Eto'o has proven it all. He does not need to run after him. Is all nonsense. I am so much excited to see what he is up to.

Anonymous said...

I don't like the comments made by Eto'o. Is his future not more important than his vacation? Dunno, just asking. If I had a vacation planned and my job was on the line, I wouldn't be having a very happy vacation. :D

Guardiola is making decisions with a strong locker room at the core. Whether last year's mess was coach-related, player-related or both we can't know for sure. But you'd better believe that Guardiola knows.

You never know how the modern professional is going to respond to "My way or the highway," but that is in effect the conversation he will have to have with Eto'o. Then the striker can decide whether he's in or out.

And 25 million is about right for someone who's had some serious injuries recently, and might be a bit of a head case (Camp Nou tantrum, head butting journalist).

We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Kxevin, my interpretation of what Eto said is just purely to keep the ball rolling and please all sides, best way, to delay an answer, if he says he's likely to stay, then it sends the wrong message to Inter, if he wants to leave, it sends the wrong message to Barca fans.

I do also wish that there was a bit more transparency in the transfer business, I'm getting tired of these rumours, I cant wait for July 6th.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search