Sunday 13 July 2008

Is Caceres the Sergio Ramos of Barcelona?


New Barcelona defender Martín Cáceres gave this week an interview to Spanish football weekly paper Don Balón. The most interesting quotes:


You've always played as defender?
During my short professional career I've played everywhere in the back line, as right and left back defender, as central defender and even as defensive midfielder.

You're as good with both legs?
I'm right footed but I don't have problems to use my left foot. The latter is not fabulous but I can use it properly. I can play everywhere but I'm feeling most comfortable as central defender.

On the pitch you tend to act solid and hard.
I always try to be very concentrated and agressive. I guess that's also a consequence of the typical Uruguayan style.

Did you adapt quickly to Spain?
It took a while, it's difficult to leave your country. The first three months I was alone, but then my wife and my daughter came over and that was a positive thing.

Did your family contribute to your career?
My parents have put me on the right track, they wanted me to be a correct boy. I think you can still see that in the person and the player I am. They've always worked hard, they gave everything for me to succeed, so I owe them a lot.

What's your judgment on your first season in Spain?
It wasn't easy, but the loan deal with Recreativo gave me the chance to play and to have a good season. If you take into account that it was my first year in the Primera División and all what this means, that Recreativo wasn't relegated, it was very positive.

Which game will you always remember?
I lived every game very intensely but the best memory I have from the home game against Deportivo. When it was 2-2, I scored the winning goal in the 90th minute. Everyone grabbed me, it was a very nice moment.

Several media have compared you with Sergio Ramos.
It's true that we have certain similarities. Not only physically or hairwise, but we have the same style of playing and we can both play in the centre and on the wing. Puyol and Sergio Ramos are my two examples.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Real Madrid were interested and in the end you joined Barcelona. How did you live the whole story?
I was calm about it but I always kept in close contact with my agent. With Barcelona, everything went very fast. Coming to one of the biggest club in the world is really an important step in my career and my life.

You feel an extra responsibility because the club paid an important transfer fee for you?
I don't think too much about money and I don't let it influence me. I try to be relaxed and humble. But of course I feel a certain responsibilty towards the club and all what it represents. It could be an additional pressure but I can assure the fans that I always give everything when I'm wearing the Barcelona shirt.

Read the whole Cáceres transfer story from the first rumours to the official presentation

Read more:
Caceres presented
OFFICIAL: Martín Cáceres
Opinions on Caceres

4 comments:

0marX said...

I really hope he turns out to be like Sergio Ramos, or better!

Anonymous said...

At the right we have Alves who is better than Ramos.

And I really hope that Caceres is better than Ramos in the centre because Ramos uses to make a lot of mistakes there. I think Ramos is beter as right back, while Cacers is probably better in the centre.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful interview, gotta love this boy! :-)

Seems very humble, intelligent and mature. He is married with 21 and has a kid? Great.

I always thought he is left-footed? Really surprised, I have to say.

Anonymous said...

He is cool and all but his hair somewhat reminded me of the guy from "No country for old man" lol

Custom Search
 
Custom Search