Friday 12 September 2008

Capel talks about his time at Barcelona

In an interview with Spanish football weekly paper Don Balón, Sevilla left winger and Spanish international Diego Capel (20), who also denied that he was close to leaving Sevilla this summer, talked about his one-season stay in Barcelona eight years ago.






When you were very young, you already tried your luck joining the Barcelona youth academy.
Yes, I went there when I was twelve years old. Although things didn't turn out fine, I don't regret what happened. I did what I felt I had to do back then, which was leaving Barcelona, because I just wasn't comfortable being away from home.

Which memories do you have from your time in Barcelona?
I know who the coach was and I know that Messi was already there, although in a higher category. They treated me extremely well but I had a bad time basically because I was coming from a very small town and was very attached to my family.

Being so far away from home with only twelve years old...
I cried a lot... Like everytime I spoke by phone with my mother or my father. I missed them , like I missed spending time with my friends, but I'm still very grateful to Barcelona.

I guess your second club now is Barcelona?
No, my second club also is Sevilla.

Was it frustrating for you that you had to leave a club like Barcelona?
At first I didn't even want to keep on playing football, but soon football was back in my life and I asked myself "What have you done now?!". But happily for me shortly after I started playing again with a local club, another big club like Sevilla became interested and gave me another chance to join their youth academy.

Read more:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our scouts again did a good job. Could have been another first team guy...

Jnice said...

Why would you criticize the scouts in this situation? You read his words, he was extremely homesick. You can't really do anything about that sometimes.

Anonymous said...

there will be a day that we can see a Barcelona first team consisting of Canteras winning everything. Barca style is building a team from youth. A philospohy similiar to the old ancient Greeks

Anonymous said...

I didn't criticize them, Jnice, just the opposite: great that they saw his talent so early.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search