Friday 19 September 2008

Henry (2): "I'm a goalscorer... when I play in the centre"

In an interview with Catalan sports paper Sport, Barcelona forward and French international Thierry Henry (31) talked on Wednesday about the start of the season.






How is your relationship with Guardiola?
I don't have any problem with the manager. On Tuesday they also tried to make me say bad things about him, but I don't have any problem with him.

I don't want you to say bad things, just to talk a little about him...
We work the tactics a lot and I think everything is going very well. Márquez' goal against Sporting was a prove of that. It shows we're working on set pieces.

Guardiola always praises you...
Yes, he does and that's a motivation. Since the start of the season everything is going fine. The problem is that after the game against Numancia they all focused on my performance.

You feel comfortable with the way Guardiola plays?
But for how long has Barcelona played like this? It has always been like this, with a 4-3-3. That's the way Barcelona plays and we should adapt ourselves to that. That's how the team won the Champions League and that's also the way games have been lost. Tactics isn't everything, the players are the ones who should execute the system properly.

You have to keep on playing on the wing. Nothing has changed for you since last season?
Sometimes I start at the left and move to the centre afterwards. Sometimes Leo can move in a free way, sometimes I change positions with Samu. There are a lot of changes and movements and we should continue like that.

You don't score goals. Don't you need them, being a goalscorer?
Yes, I'm a goalscorer. When I play in the centre that is... That's the basics of football, in the centre it's easier to score. I don't feel any pressure because as long as we win, it's not imortant who scores. Whoever scores, if we win everybody is happy. The celebration of Márquez' goal was a good example of that.

You have considered leaving the club?
No, at this moment, I don't. I spoke with the manager and we had the same thoughts and understood each other. So at this moment I don't.


This was the second part of the interview. You can read the first part here and the third part will be published tomorrow, with Henry talking, amongst other things, about the mental strength of the team and what he does after a game.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice interview

pep said...

Thanks... ;)

Anonymous said...

Wel done pep... Thats a very matured & diplomatic Titi for us

Custom Search
 
Custom Search