Thursday 18 September 2008

Wenger called Touré this summer

Asked about the rumours linking him with a move to Arsenal (read more here), Barcelona defensive midfielder and Ivory Coast international Yaya Touré (25) has said in an interview with Catalan radio station RAC 1 that he talked with Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger this summer but that he doesn't plan to leave Barcelona:


"Wenger called me this summer and both him and my brother Kolo asked me if I would want to join Arsenal, but I told them that I'm very happy in Barcelona. With Keita and Busquets there are two more players for my spot but competition is good. We have two great quality players for each position and that's a key element if you want to be the best team in the world.

We cannot play with twelve guys. Physically I'm very good but one has to accept the decions of the manager. I'm a profesional and if I don't play, I have to try and help the team. I'm patient. Now we just need to play well and with ambition because when you're putting on the Barcelona shirt you represent the greatest club in the world and you need to win every game. All the players are aware that we have to win a trophy this season to give something back to the fans."

Read more:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesnt sound to me like he is too bothered with the arrival of Keita. He sounds like a very professional patient footballer who will give eveyrthing when he is given his chance to play. I am sure you will see Yaya play in all the big games this season when we need more strength and defensive cover int he midfield. I dont think he will leave anytime soon, he seems to understand the need for rotation and healthy competition in a big team like Barca. Great attitude from this boy, he could have easily said some stuff to try and put pressure on Pep to play him but he did the exact opposite. Nice to see!

Anonymous said...

Great attitude indeed. But it's only the start of the season, hope he can keep this up once the big games are coming. Or that Guardiola changes his mind. I sure prefer him in midfield.

Anonymous said...

Pure class, pure professional. Every side needs players with attitudes such as this. Because it's all about the team.

I also think it's the attitude that Guardiola has instilled in the side. The players understand that depth means a better chance at trophies, and the starters shouldn't have to play all match, every match.

ponnyKID said...

Toure Rocks !!!

Anonymous said...

Yaya, you're the man.

Anonymous said...

"Wenger called me this summer..."

How is this possible? Isn't Wenger the one who always whines about how clubs like Madrid, Barca etc unsettles his players at Arsenal?

He's not allowed to call Yaya without permission from Barca. You hypocrite Arsene!

Yaya crack!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search