Saturday 11 October 2008

Gudjohnsen (2): "Guardiola reminds me of Mourinho"

In an interview with Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona attacker Eidur Gudjohnsen talked about the start of the new season.


(This is the second part of this interview. You can read the first part here)


This is your third season at the club and you still didn't win a trophy. Third time, good time?
I've always said that I came to Barcelona to win trophies, but this summer I had decided to leave. I nevertheless went to talk with the coach and by telling me that he had confidence in me and that I could be useful for the team, he made me change my mind. For me, there's no bigger club than Barcelona, I'm very happy about the decision I took and now I only hope to pay the coach back by helping the team winning trophies.

With six consecutive wins and the good performance against Atlético, you can dream of winning a trophy, no?
There are possibilities, but it's still too early to talk about this. We should keep on doing what we're doing and if we deserve them, the trophies will come in the end. In the league, for example, the fight won't only be with Real Madrid, cause I think Villareal, Valencia and Sevilla will also be though competitors.

The Liga is the priority for you?
The league always has to be the priority cause it's a reward of the work during a whole season and it assures you of the Champions league. Besides that, we didn't win in for two years now. The Champions league? That's a different competition and of course it would be special to win it, but now we should focus on winning every game.

You've already made clear that Guardiola has been important for you this season. Tell us something about him.
He's a coach of details. He knows how the players are feeling at every moment because he has been a top player himself and he acts to that. He and his whole team are very united and very prepared. Guardiola reminds me a lot of Mourinho, who I knew from my time at Chelsea. You cannot compare their coaching careers at this point, but both like to talk with the players, they have a strong character and very clear ideas. With Guardiola we train like we play, very intense, and that's something he really brought to the team. There's a lot of respect for him amongst the players and we all feel we can have a great season.

You're a close friend of Henry. You think he's not really happy in his private life, like Abidal has said?
I don't like to talk about the private life of Henry. I think Abidal didn't express himself well because he didn't have any bad intention. I would also like to go out for a dinner with the squad because this is good for the atmosphere, but the only problem is to find the right moment.

You understand the bad comments Henry has received?
It's understandable because people expected a lot but I don't understand why he's the only one that's being criticized. When things aren't going well, that means the whole team isn't functioning, not just one player. Henry is extremely talented and we're going to enjoy a lot with him.

You think he's better as centre forward?
If he's fit, Henry can play everywhere because for me he continues to be one of the best players in the world.


This was the second and last part of this interview.

Read the first part: Gudjohnsen (1): "I'm wearing this shirt with pride"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...can't wait for the day he's gone...

Anonymous said...

brilliantjonhnsen has won us 3 valuable points and without this win we wouldn't have won 6 consecutive games. he came from a world class team, where he played a lot than at his peak stayed on the bench for 2 years after brilliant performances. Tell me one player on the barca squad that is as loyal as gudjohnsen...

He deserves every minute he gets and trust me he will get a lot this season. guddy please stay for at least another 3 years.
guddy for life.

KAYR

Custom Search
 
Custom Search