Friday 24 October 2008

Marquez (1): "I want to make history at this club"

In an interview with Catalan sports paper Sport, Barcelona central defender and Mexican international Rafael Márquez talked about the season so far.





It’s known that you’re the only remaining player within the signings from 2003 that remains with the club. What does this tell you?
That the club believes in me and that I’ve done my job well.

This is already your sixth season as a Barcelona player.
It’s a period in my professional career in which there have been highs and lows. There have been successes, disappointments and injuries. I've had many great moments here and I've also had moments in which injuries have held me back.

You're 29 years old, and your contract ends when you're 30. Do you know what will happen in your career after this?
One always looks for stability and the less change you deal with in life, the more stability you'll have.

Have you ever thought about hanging up your boots at Barça, or living in Barcelona afterwards? Or you wish to finish your career in your home country of Mexico?
I'm already European in my way of life, therefore my priority is to stay here and if I can renew my contract, I'll be very happy. And maybe, I'll even remain living in Barcelona afterwards.

Do you hold the same motivation that you've had since day one?
Of course, without a doubt. The important thing about this profession, and in many others as well, isn't simply to reach goals but to maintain oneself. Remaining at a high level and playing regularly isn't easy. Even the best players have both good and bad moments. I don't know of any player that has always been a regular. A player can often feel fatigued and weakened as this is a very demanding sport.

The physical trainers and the coach at Barça talk about the famous "invisible training". Do you utilize this and do you take care of yourself?
I'm very aware of my responsibility as a professional and I'm also in the final stage of my sporting career. If I wish to finish at my best level, I have to take care of myself more than ever. I do it effortlessly. There's nothing I have to lose.

Many things have been said and written about you. Many have said that the problem with Rijkaard's team was the lack of ambition to win titles.
I'll talk about myself only. Rafa Marquez wants to make history at Barça and when I leave this club, I want to write a beautiful page in this club's history and I want people to remember what I've done.

Would you like to become an important player in the history of the club?
I aim to do my best job possible without doubt and to win as many titles as possible.


Translated by: AL


This was the first part of this interview. The other parts will follow in the coming days with Márquez talking - amongst other things - about Guardiola and about the offers he received last summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would you like to become an important player in the history of the club?

Stupid question. Why wouldn't he?

Custom Search
 
Custom Search