Monday 27 October 2008

Marquez (3): "I want another night like in Paris"

In an interview with Catalan sports paper Sport, Barcelona central defender and Mexican international Rafael Márquez talked about the season so far.


(read the previous parts here)


You're happy these days...
Very happy. I feel that I'm able to balance both my football and personal lives. This makes me feel calm and helps my performance overall.

Are you bothered by the gossip in the media about your personal life? (note: Márquez divorced his wife recently and has a new relationship with Mexican model-actress Jaydy Mitchell)
It's a bit annoying, yes.

What is it that bothers you the most?
That people make claims and say things without knowing what really happened. Otherwise, I never let any of that affect me, because if it did it would have brought me down emotionally and I couldn't let that happen.

And how have you taken it?
I've isolated myself from the gossip and I told myself that all that matters is what my family, friends and manager think. Everything else I don't care about. However, sometimes I had to keep my mind clear in order not to lose myself.

Of course you're aware that you were linked to many clubs last summer. Everybody thought you would leave Barça, together with Ronaldinho, Eto'o, and Deco... Did you also see yourself leaving?
No, never. And I say it sincerely. I talked with the directors, with everyone responsible with the team and they always made me feel like they counted on me.

Is it true that if you wanted to leave, you could have? You did receive offers from Italy and England.
It's true, I received offers that were both interesting at a sporting and economical level.

And why didn't you accept any of them?
There isn't a team better than Barça sporting wise and economically I feel well-paid. For me, money has never been a priority. What I received in Mexico, I received ten times more at Monaco. When I signed for Barca, I received an even bigger pay increase.

Is it true that without Deco and Ronaldinho, players like Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are noticed more?
It's a part of football to talk about some players more than others. Now that Ronaldinho and Deco aren't here, people do notice other footballers more. I feel that it's important to connect with the players that are here and to do a good job.

What do you think when you see Xavi, Iniesta and Messi play?
It's an absolute delight to see them play and to have them as teammates.

Is it wrong to praise Messi so much?
It's normal when talking about such great players! In no way is it wrong! He deserves all the praise he receives. He's in his own league.

Do you consider yourself a "crack", a star player?
I guess it's okay to receive some praise, but I don't intend to make headlines. I just want to do my job and to help my team win.

What do you hope to win?
I hope to live another night like the one in Paris. It was magical and the supporters deserve something to be happy about.


Translated by: AL


This was the third and last part of this interview.

You can read the previous parts here:
Marquez (2): "Guardiola admires my style"
Marquez (1): "I want to make history at this club"

4 comments:

barcelonista said...

very good interview...i like him like as player and like as human...
barca 4life

Anonymous said...

I hope to live another night like the one in Paris.

Oh, don't we all.

Anonymous said...

marquez is a reat player and person im glad we kept him!

Anonymous said...

marquez is a great player and person im glad we kept him!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search