Saturday 8 November 2008

Eusebio: "Barcelona coming close to Dream Team"

Former Barcelona player Eusebio (44), who has been the second assistant of rank Rijkaard until the end of last season, gave an interview with Madrid sports tabloid As.





How does your life looks like after having left Barcelona this summer?
There's life after Barcelona, football is very important but there are also other things. After those years with Barcelona, I'm having some time for myself. First you have to go through a stage of total disconnection but once the summer got to an end, I'm again watching games. I'm doing some things in the media and I'm inviolved in the world of football. I want to continue in this world and I want to be ready and fully prepared in case I get a chance.

This weekend, the two teams of your heart are playing against each other.
It's a special game for me and I sure will watch it. Valladolid and Barcelona have been key clubs in my career. It's always something special.

Where will you see the game?
In the Camp Nou.

We guess it would be impossible to choose a favourite team...
It will be a relaxed night for me because every result will be good for me. I will watch the game without any pressure, I will always be happy with the result. May the best win.

Well, then it will be difficult for Valladolid, if we take into account how Barcelona is playing...
The team is playing spectacular. It's all so brilliant that it's difficult to find some weak point in their way or playing or the mental approach to the game. They attack and defend perfectly.

The comparison with your time with the Dream Team of Johan Cruijff is possible?
They are playing at a fantastic level. It's not always easy to remember things but during my time as player and coach, we always had brilliant periods. This Barcelona is coming close to the best moments of the Dream Team.

There's something left from your time as assistant coach?
You learn from everything, from the good things and the bad things.

Guardiola has shown a lot of personality...
He's brave and he indeed has a lot of personality. He loves football and he knows and identifies himself with the club. When he started as player, being only 19 years old, he already very much believed in himself. He has all the qualities one needs to do a good job. He has so much experience as a player that he doesn't feel pressured by the responsibility.

You hope to be the coach of Barcelona or Valladolid one day?
I want to start as head coach and I'm motivated to take on every chance. And then we'll see what the future will bring.

You could get a chance soon, for example by becoming the manager of Numancia?
When you are in my situation, you look for persons who follow the market and the working opportunities. I only prepare myself so I'm ready for the options they offer me. The rest are just rumours.



Read more:
Eusebio has offer from Almeria
Who will assist Guardiola?
Eusebio candidate for Salamanca job

No comments:

Custom Search
 
Custom Search