Monday 3 November 2008

Messi (1): "I play the game by instinct"

Barcelona player Lionel Messi gave an interview to Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo.





Everybody knows about the criticism that Diego Armando Maradona has given you. What do you think of that now that he's your national team manager?
It's nothing! Things like that are often said in the heat of the moment and aren't important anymore. I know that Diego believes in me, and that he believes in my skill and that's what's most important. I have no grudge towards him. On the contrary, I respect him for the player that he was and for what he gave to Argentine football. To me, there's no added pressure on me despite him being the new coach. The key to Argentina being on top again is working hard as a team. Managing a national team is more complicated than managing a club. Hopefully things turn out well with Diego.

Well, many people including Maradona himself have accused you as being selfish with the ball. Defend yourself.
I've played the same way since I was a youth player and I'm not going to change. Many managers have tried to adjust tactics to my form of play, but they must understand that I read and play the game by instinct. Both Rijkaard and Guardiola understood that and I'm thankful to them for that. In terms of my selfishness, I love being a team player. I shoot when I get the proper chance and I move the ball around a lot. It's a matter of choice. To get past a player, you either run past him, or you pass the ball or look for a shot on goal. It depends on the moment. I honestly don't think that I am an individualist. I intend to do the best for the team, not for my own benefit.

Why did Alfio "Coco" Basile leave?
Things didn't turn out well and the people were upset. I don't know, a new generation of players is arriving, that includes those that won the gold at the Olympics. I feel optimistic with the possibility of qualifying for the next World Cup and to fight for the title that got past us in 2006.

Your gold medal is your first proper title.
Well, during my first season in 2006 I suffered an injury, but I consider it my first title in terms of my participation. However, I couldn't participate in the Champions League final in Paris against Arsenal, nor could I play against Germany in the decisive match at the World cup. So yes, the gold medal is special.

You seem very optimistic.
Totally, yes. I believe in the human and sporting qualities of people and both Argentina and Barça have this.

You started with the number 30 which was sort of a pattern with Ronaldinho (10) and Deco (20). Now that they're both gone, you are the only one left...
Well, both Deco and Ronaldinho helped me adapt to things and I'll always be grateful. Now that they're not here, we must go forward with the team that we have. We have a new manager, new players and that means it's a new team, whether one wants it or not.

But you're attecting the most attention now.
That's true, but it's natural in football. Ronaldinho and Deco aren't here anymore and we play differently now. This has benefitted me, and everyone else in a way, as we have contact with the ball during more minutes.

And that's important for you.
Yes, I like to have an mayor role during a match, to be able to create chances and finish them.


Translated by: AL


This was the first part of this interview. The other parts will follow in the coming days with Messi talking - amongst other things - about his injuries.

1 comment:

AydinK-1 said...

Yea,we are first in La Liga and doing great in Champions League.
This is indeed a new era and a bright one too.

Més Que Un Club!!!

Custom Search
 
Custom Search