Monday 17 November 2008

Sylvinho: "We have a squad to make history"

Barcelona defender Sylvinho gave an interview to Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo.





Why does Guardiola prefer Abidal or Puyol over you?
I don't know, Guardiola will have his reasons. I try to work hard every day to win his trust. I give everything to achieve that and I fight with the strength and the motivation of a twenty year old. I never give up.

You have talked with the coach to know more about his motives?
I never have been a player who went to ask explications to the coach. I'm not gonna create tensions in the dressingroom, that wouldn't be respectful towards the coach and the teammates. I like to be respected and I try to behave the same way towards others. There's always a line between the coach and the players and you shouldn't cross that line. He has to make decisions. We've talked with Guardiola just enough.

How do you deal with a situation like this, which must be really hard for a player?
I talk a lot with my wife and it's true we're sad sometimes, but you have to be patient and never lose your motivation. I'm 34 but I'm still as motivated as I was the first day.

You have felt hurt or frustrated?
At the start of the season, there was a game when I didn't expect to sit on the bench, against Sporting Lisbon. That wasn't easy at that time, but the teammates gave me their support and encouragement. A lot came to cheer me up. They told me "Come on, you'll have your chance". That was a big help.

You're religious. This has helped you to keep going?
The Bible is a reference to me and the stories help me to deal with the good and the bad moments, the joy and the sorrow. It learns you to forgive and you cannot use it in any case to ask your team to win or to start a game.

What can Sylvinho add to the team of Pep Guardiola?
I always try to give everything. I have a strong character and I'm a typical Brazilian player, always thinking about attacking. I like to give assists. Besides that, I think one can always do more in the dressingroom. We're all somewhat egocentric and we don't always see that a teammate or somebody else from the club is going through a difficult time or needs support or comfort. You can always do more there.

Why did you play more in the Champions League than in the Liga so far?
I don't know why they count more on me in that tournament. Although it doesn't really matter in which competition you're playing. But I course would like to play more. Like I've already said several times, wanting to play is a right you cannot take away from a football player.

Being 34 year old is an obstacle?
Guardiola only is three years older than me... But I don't see myself as the grandfather, rather the uncle or the older brother. I feel grateful for having been able to play at big clubs and I like to be there for the others, to share everyhing that I have learned. I'm one of the few transfers from the start of the Laporta era that are still there, but I, and the team, still have some objectives.

How many trophies will this promising Barça win?
I would like to win all of them. We have a team and a squad to make history but we shouldn't forget this is only November.



Read more:
Sylvinho confirms Celtic Glasgow interest
OFFICIAL: Sylvinho renewal
Sylvinho happy at Barcelona

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a respectful player he is, payers with attitude problems could take a lesson from him.

Ramzi said...

U can publish this guy interviews in a book and it will turn to become a guideline.
i noticed the Brazilian players are either Adriano-Ronaldinho personality or Edmilson-Sylvinho one, either addicted to parties, or extra "home guys" and religious.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search