Friday 26 December 2008

Abidal: "If Busquets was black, he would be 35"

Barcelona player Eric Abidal gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





How is your second season at Barça going? Are there differences with the first one?
For me, the two seasons are completely different. The first was all about adapting to a new coach, new players, I didn't understand the language. It wasn't impossible to communicate but it's always better to talk Spanish. The worst thing was that at the end the results weren't like we expected. Despite the players being almost the same ones, this year we have a new coach, the games turn out well, we're first and everything goes fine.

You had problems finding your place last year?
When I arrived, I noticed that the rhythm of the league was different. I already said that playing games at 10 pm is very strange. Everything is done very late here. Lunch at 2 pm. Everything changed. My body didn't accept that way of working but now I already know how things work and I feel very good and well-integrated. I don't have any problems.

The injury is also something of the past.
Yes. More than two weeks ago, I returned after having been injured for one month. I didn't take part in a few games but the most important thing is that the team did well.

You were afraid to lose momentum in a team in which a spot in the starting eleven is very expensive.
At Barça, it's hard indeed. But the best thing to recover from my knee injury was to stop a few weeks to then afterwards come back even stronger.

You considered to undergo surgery?
I wanted to avoid it at all costs and I achieved it. Surgery meant being out for three months. I talked with Bernard Moyen, a surgeon who works for Olympique Lyon and a close friend of mine, and with Barcelona team doctor Ramon Cugat and both recommended a conservative treatment. Moyen knows me well since he already operated me twice and I have full confidence in his advice.

How is the atmosphere in the dressingroom now?
Very good. It truly is. Of course it's easier when things are going well. Every morning there's loud music, we're all happy to train and motivated to play games. There's that positive dynamics due to the results.

How is the team doing in your opinion?
Incredibly, a touch here, a touch there. During my injury, I saw the games from the stands and I found out the other teams couldn't hold the ball more than 10 minutes in a whole game. It's difficult to defeat Barça, but I think we still can make progress. There are always things that can get better. We're playing at a good level, but the most difficult thing is to keep the level. Barça has to continue like this, with caution and modesty, because there's nothing decided yet. If we are too sure of ourselves, we'll pay it in the end.

What do you think about the youth players?
Oh man. Sergio Busquets plays like he's playing in the first division for years. He looks young, but in fact he isn't. If Busi would have been black, he sure would be 35 years old, but since he's white, he should be 20. Guardiola knows all the youth players very well and it's positive he gives them chances.


This was the first part of this interview. You'll be able to read the second part in the coming days with Abidal talking -among other things- about what he's doing in his free time and revealing if he ever smiles, and if so, when he does it.

Read more:
Lyon wants to resign Abidal next summer
Henry: "I'm in love"
Milan interested in Abidal

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"He looks young, but in fact he isn't. If Busi would have been black, he sure would be 35 years old, but since he's white, he should be 20."

What?! :P

Anonymous said...

denari

I don't get it eather... What does he mean?

pep said...

He refers to the the fact that in some countries, the "passport age" is sometimes not exactly the same as the real age.

Krish said...

Pep that still makes little sense..man Marca can turn this shit into something serious in a hurry.. :D

Mr.Abidal..what are u talking abt..?

Anonymous said...

I don't understand what Marca has to do here, but the rest makes sense: he just says that Busquets is that mature and strong that if he would have come from a country where the birth administration is maybe less strict and were false birth certificates are more easy to get, he would think Busquets would be older than on his passport (20).

InieStar said...

I didnt get it either before pep wrote the point:)

He means that if he was black he would probably have been 35 years old due to his skills and acting like a mature player. He refers to situation where a handfull players, mainly coloured i think have fake passports to cheat with their age.

So since he is white he "must" be only 20. None racism in it but it is only coloured ones who have been discovered as far as i know.

Krish said...

exactly..Marca could have easily dragged this whole passport issue into this situation in some warped way...

and i think InieStar got it right

Anonymous said...

How old do you guys think Eto'o is, for real? My guess would be ~30. Maybe 3 years older then in his passport.

farhad. said...

Abidal could've said it more carefully.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search