Monday 22 December 2008

Henry: "I'm tired, my career will end soon"

Barcelona player Thiery Henry gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.





The idea people have of you can depend on two seconds...
I know. One day, at Arsenal, a father and his son were waiting for me at the stadium's exit. I was talking by telephone with my father about personal issues and that man didn't stop touching me. The first time I said him that I was sorry but that I was talking about an important issue. He touched me again and said that I should talk with my father later! Incredible! Things like that happen to me the whole time. But you have stay calm and shut your mouth.

What makes you angry?
Injustice. When something is not fair, I get really angry. There are people who don't like how I behave, but if I'm not happy with something, I make sure it's noticeable. I cannot function in another way.

What worries you about the world?
There's no respect. I cannot accept that. For me there's no way back. If you don't respect your mother, that's the end. I have a bad feeling about the new generation that is now growing up. They are told that they can earn easy money and they don't study anymore. In France there are people who have an impressive level of education but are working in the supermarket.

What do you think about French politics?
I hardly follow the world of politics. Although when I saw that president Sarkozy was together with Carla Bruni, I thought it was a good thing because that way they showed they're human. I'm not talking about his political decisions, but people sometimes forget that politicians are also human beings.

You feel a connection with Barack Obama?
I have a hard time understanding why they are pointing out that he will be the first black president of the United States without making a judgment on him going to be a good or a bad president. Because it could be a good thing that America has a coloured president but I hope in the first place that he'll be the best president because of having an accurate government project and not because of the colour of his skin.

What is your motto in life?
All the decisions I have ever made in my life, I've taken myself. You must be the man you really are inside. Today it's not always easy but you have to do it.

You're not affected by it, but what do you think about the global crisis?
How come that's not affecting me? It affects my family, the people I know, my brother who works in the Paris subway.

You have a good feeling about Barça under Guardiola?
I have a very good feeling if I see how we play as a team. I can see it on the faces. We can receive goals, but we're united. Last year every opponent was dangerous. The objective is winning something. When I finish my career in Europe, I've said that I would like to play in the United States and maybe I shouldn't wait too long anymore. But I'm happy at Barça!

Are you tired?
I'm not tired but... During my career, I've played two or three times without being one hundred per cent fit but there comes a point where your body cannot resist anymore. My career will end soon and if you're a forward, things go even faster. As I've already said, I have never run as much as with Barcelona. Physically, I'm fine and if you see how I'm running, that proves it. But the hotels, the travelling, all that is getting difficult. To play and to travel is very tiring and I'm already doing this for fifteen years.

What would you say to those who say that you're finished?
They are not far from the truth. My career will end one day or another. Look, I started playing at the highest level fifteen years ago. Always at the top, not one good year and then one bad year. In the end, you're paying for that.



This was the fourth part of this interview. You will be able to read the last part in the coming days with Henry talking -among other things- about his relationships and his divorce.

Read the earlier parts of the interview here:
"I'm a bit of a loner beause of my youth"
"I find peace in Guadeloupe"
"Kurt Cobain was a genius"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My respect, which was already huge, has gone way up for this guy. I think this is his last season in the colors, unfortunately. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

I hope that he will play so many he can at Barca, He´s a living legend, keep on fighting Henry!

Anonymous said...

My Xmas wish that Henry finish on a high, LIGA AND UCL. The UCL brough him here, he had the feeling he would achieve that with us. I love and respect the dude.

wanted47 said...

yeah yaeh yaeh
now that he is scoring important goals everybody is loving and missing him..tzzz

Anonymous said...

Not everyone. I've been on the Henry bandwagon from the outset, taking lots of slings and arrows in the process. If you missed the Henry vs Eto'o debates, they were spirited.

Harshawardhan said...

hope this is NOT his last season with us.. hopefully he will retire with us..
Tremendous fellow...

Anonymous said...

I agree with wanted47, it wasnt long ago that everyone thought henry was the worst player for barca and wanted him to leave and now after a couple of good performances you all adore him and hopes he retires at barca. pathetic.

Anonymous said...

well thats for some people, I know myself, Kxevin and a few other people have always defended him.. check all my posts with regards to Titi and you'ld find out its not pathetic.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search