Friday 5 December 2008

Laporta: "Mourinho was a more secure option"

Barcelona presidnet joan laporta gave an interview to Spanish newspaper El País.





Intuition? Courage? How do you explain your capacity to survive?
I believe you have to be able to understand Barça in a certain way. There were people who are true to club but who have stopped walking along with me for certain reasons. Everybody has his own way of being. I have not changed and I keep going on with those who continue at the institution. The ideals of the club are a lot stronger than personal ambitions and to bring them into practice the club needs to be governed. I believe in what I'm doing and I have the strength to overcome, the motivation, the energy and the innovative spirit that is needed to lead. Barcelona is an international reference at a social, sporting, economic and solidary level and we have to strengthen that.

Those who have abandoned you are suggesting that your behaviour is too focused on your own person and that your management is not cautious enough. You didn't transform from a president into a manager?
I've always been an executive president. Barça is travelling at a high speed and you need a will to innovate. You need to hold the steering wheel firmly to get the club where we want it, without being turned away from our objective. There are things that were meaningful four months ago but that aren't anymore now.

The economic crisis has also an impact on the attendance at the Camp Nou.
We're talking about a global crisis. The fact that the games are broadcasted by non-pay channels and the hours at which most of the games are played also have an influence. Maybe we should start to play at different hours for more people to come and watch the games.

The fans sure have stopped watching at the president's box and are now watching the pitch again. You feel more comfortable than last season?
In the delicate moments, you should show that you're able to resist. There's a lot of pressure and I understand that other board members couldn't deal with that anymore. I stayed with those who believed in the project and didn't leave the ship.

Those who resigned were preparing a coup?
I don't feel betrayed or disappointed. I believed in the project and I had to assure the stability. It had been decided since February that Guardiola would be the manager this season in case Rijkaard wouldn't win a trophy, and if not, next season. And there also were the economic challenges and the project of the new stadium.

Why Guardiola?
The first who spoke to me about Guardiola as a coach was Cruijff in December 2007. At that time, I was worried about the performances of the team. It looked all very similar to the season before, so I asked Cruijff for advice. I mentioned the name of Guardiola because those who were following him as B-team coach were talking very positively about him, and especially sports director Txiki Begiristain. I realized that if we needed a substitute, we had one within the club. I talked about the situation with Rijkaard. Then the team made a good comeback and I decided to meet with Guardiola to tell him that if the team wouldn't win a trophy, he would be next season's manager. I also explained that to Rijkaard, who proposed to appoint Guardiola as assistant coach so he could prepare the change. Guardiola nevertheless wanted the B-team to win the championship and to get promoted. We chose Guardiola despite some board members prefering other options.

Mourinho and Wenger?
Among others. We chose Guardiola for his knowledge about football and the club and because of his football philosophy. Cruijff told me that Guardiola sees the game in a very clear way. It was my responsibility that the new manager would respect the history of the club. And Guardiola has a fine history at this club. I was convinced by his modesty, skills, knowledge and dignity.

Although people accused you that appointing Guardiola was a way to protect yourself, wouldn't appointing Mourinho have been a better umbrella in a way?
The president has to hold on to a way of playing football and not go after the brand of the day. The appointment of Guardiola shows the attachment to the cruijffian philosopy. After Rijkaard, there's now Guardiola and that's clear to everyone. When we appointed him as coach as coach of the B-team, I was convinced that he would end up as manager of the first team. Mourinho was a more pragmatic option, a more secure one, but Guardiola fitted our way of understanding the game of football. Now a lot of people want to make me believe that they've recommended Guardiola to me while in fact they advised against him. Guardiola is a constant source of football inspiration.



This was the first part of this interview. The second part will follow in the coming days with Laporta talking -among other things- about the MLS bid and his political ambitions.

5 comments:

Dan R said...

Off topic:

Can anyone give me the precise translation of "Visca El Barca"?

I know it's something like "Hail barca" hehe but a precise translation would be nice :)

Anonymous said...

Can wait to hear about MLS Miami.

Anonymous said...

Dan R: Visca Barca ---> Hip-hip hurrah Barca!
Visca Barca y Visca Catalunya! It's another slogan... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Pep, where's the latest rumour regarding Barcelona matching Agüero's clause?
Seems to be the hot news of the moment.

The thing that I'm annoyed with it is that it might be the big news on the sports papers before the clash againts Valencia (could destabilze certain things).

pep said...

Dan R, "Visca" in Catalan is "Viva" in Spanish. I would say "Hail" or "Long live" in English, but native speakers are welcome to correct me.

It's coming, Mr...

Custom Search
 
Custom Search