Tuesday 27 January 2009

Henrique: "I want to join Barcelona next season"

Bayer Leverkusen central ddefender and Barcelona loan out Henrique gave an interview to Madrid sports taloid Marca.





Do you see yourself playing in Barcelona in the season 2009-2010?
I am working very hard in Bayer Leverkusen to comply with the objective to be a part of the squad of Barcelona in the season that comes.

Do you see yourself succeeding there?
Yes. Everything will depend on the level of my commitment and I'm sure I will give all I can. I believe that everything depends on the effort devoted to it. Precisely for this reason, I am working very hard and I do not want to divert. I want to seize every oppurtunity provided to me by the club. I want to triumph in Barcelona and I have set it as one of my top priorities for the next campaign.

You're looking forward to play in Spain?
Very much... Barcelona is a very big club and I expect myself to be prepared when I get the oppurtunity to wear the blaugrana shirt. The mere fact that I can think about playing there is a dream for me.

2008 was a special year for you. You started at Coritiba and then there was Palmeiras, Barcelona and Leverkusen...
I will never forget 2008. A lot of things happened in my life, and thanks to God, all were positive for my football career. I won a lot individually and I think I was always learning a little from each team in which I was.

You said you are happy in Germany? You want to continue there?
This does not only depend on me. I must obey whatever Barcelona says, although I want to go there. But if they prefer me to continue at Bayer Leverkusen, I will be happy to do so. It will be the same if I am sent to another club. Although I prefer to play in Barcelona.

Rudi Voller says that he will try to prevent you from leaving...
If he says this, it fills me with pride, as I only have been half a season at the club. It's nice that people think well of you. That means that I am working in a proper manner and that things are going well.

Playing on a regular basis with Bayer led to your selection for the national team...
Well, it is clear that a player who plays a lot has more oppurtunities to succeed than those who don't play often.

Did you ever talk with Guardiola?
Although I talked with him only once, when I came to Barcelona before going to Germany, I know that he is keeping track of my developments at Bayern Beverkusen, because he's in permanent contact with the club's technical directors.

Do you follow Barca's games?
Of course! I don't miss a single match. I have the 'Barca TV' channel at my house.

What do you think about the level of football they play?
Messi, Etoo', Puyol, Xavi ... What can I say about all the qualities they have? I can not say anything but praise them for the tremendous level of expertise of each of the players from the squad. I can only watch and admire their play.

Wouldn't you like to be a part of that squad?
Clearly! I do not believe that there can be players currently that desire not to play in the Barcelona. At present, the technician has a great group of players at his service.

Do you see yourself triumphing at the Camp Nou?
That is the objective that I must meet, in addition to winning many titles with the club. I'm working every day to make this a reality.

Have you been in contact with any of the players of the Barca squad?
No, I do not know anyone. I just came across Puyol and Xavi the day I met with Guardiola in the club. It was just when they returned with the Spanish team. The only contact that I have is with Dani Alves, but that has been because I know him from the Brazilian squad.

Are you aware of the fact that the current Barca squad has many central defenders?
Yes, I know. But these things do not worry me too much because when I arrive at the club I will fight to get myself a position in the starting eleven. Something similar happened to me at Bayer Leverkusen, since there were many defenders and in the end I finished being an unquestionable starter in the eyes of the coach. These things depend on many factors, but my motto is to work and gain a position, I always do it to the maximum.

Competing for a place will be hard for you...
I can only say that I will work hard so that the coach notices me and to win myself a place in the team. I also believe that to earn a position at Barcelona will be a lot more difficult than doing it in Germany, but I believe in my abilities. If they give me an opportunity to show what I can, I will not let them down.

Do you know that your signing has been questioned quite a few times?
Yes I am aware of this fact.But it is something that is beyond my reach.I can only say that,since they bought me, they must have seen something in me .

Do you want to silence those people who thought that your transfer was expensive?
No, no. That is not my responsibility,it is something related to the club. One knows what he has to face when he joins a big club like Barcelona. I will be prepared to succeed when I arrive at the Camp Nou.

Translated by: Anik


Read more:
Leverkusen wants to keep Henrique one more year
Alves: "I have more energy every day"
Decision on Henrique's future next month

6 comments:

pep said...

This was the first translation made by Anik. As with the the other new guys, I want to sincerely thank him for contributing to this blog and making it better. Thanks, Anik!

sashi said...

Thanx Anik... gr8 work...
and man... am getting goosebumps listening to this guy speakin about Barce!!! he's soo eager to prove himself in the first team...
Barca... pls get him back for next season as we need central defenders... Milito is very injury prone... there's only Puyol, Marquez n Pique... i dont think Caceres is strong enuf to fight these 3... Henrique would be reallly gudd...

Anonymous said...

Thanks anik. my favourite line

Do you follow Barca's games?
Of course! I don't miss a single match. I have the 'Barca TV' channel at my house.

LOL. I wonder if the club pays for that for all the players.

Anonymous said...

i wonder how it feels to be one step from joining one of the best teams ever existed....
i like the guy and he is performing well,i think next year he is gonna be called back and caceres will leave on loan.(i think it would better if even this year we kept him and caceres went out on loan.the only reason we kept caceres instead is because he can be used as a side back also....can he?)

Dan R said...

As much as i would love to see him succeed in Barca as soon as possible, i cannot avoid thinking he should spend another season in Leverkusen... One season just aint enough, and we have many players for CB.

Anonymous said...

I think milito may be gone soon. If that is the case Puyol Marquez Pique Caceres and Henrique. marquez maybe has 2 years left in him before heading off to the Barca US and possibly one last season in mexico. At that time Puyol Pique Caceres Henrique if they are willing to have some patience.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search