Thursday 12 February 2009

Toure: "For me Iniesta is a 'Golden Ball' winner"

Barcelona player Yaya Touré gave an interview to Catalan sports paper el Mundo Deportivo.





You play with your national team this week. In your country people are saying that Barcelona would see the best Touré when you would play like you do at the national team.
Ivory Coast plays with two defensive midfielders. Zokora is the most defensive of the two and I'm the more attacking one. So that's different. I'm talking with Guardiola about my position and at Barça I'm playing in a way I can contribute the most to the team. I'm at my best now but I don't stop growing.

Speaking of growth, you measure out to 1 metre 91. Despite being this tall, have you gotten to feel small around Messi?
Yes, sometimes Messi makes you feel small, but above all he also makes you bigger. If you play with footballers like Leo, like Iniesta and Xavi, the others need to do some extra effort. You have to grow quickly to give them protection and assist them when needed.

What would they and this record team be without you?
Few teams have as much offensive power as we do. And our defense is also strong. Things are working. But the referees are a disaster. I get angry a lot, they can not allow so many blows on Messi and Iniesta. We have to protect them, including when the fault happens close to the goal area, because it's enough now.

Apart from that, your football is not only characterize by the hardness but also by your strong shots on goal. Those "yayazos" have become famous...
Yayazos? Are they called like that? My wife always tells me that I have to shoot more. But I think I am more needed in other areas. The truth is that I never practise shooting in training. When in a match there is a chance, I go ahead, of course, but it is not something I seek. My mission is not that, but to be there for others.

Your wife is passionate about football?
She is very into football. She enjoys going to the stadium and watching us play. She loves Barca and together with my son of two years she loves to hear and to hum the Barça hymn. They are very happy here, and I am too. How could I want to go to another team?

You say that because of the interest shown by Arsenal, Juventus or Manchester City to sign you?
There is a concrete offer and some other proposal, but I would like to retire here. I already said in a recent interview that it would be an honor for me to hang up my boots at Barca. I would only leave out of my own will if I saw that I no longer have the energy necessary to protect my fellow team-mates from being kicked. Or when I failed the strength to cross the midfield and to get to the oponnent's goal area.

You have a contract until 2011. Will you renew? Will you demand a higher salary?
These issues are taking care of by my representative (Dimitri Sellyuk). He puts some pressure, yes: that is part of his job. I am very grateful of him
because he has helped me a lot throughout my career. I myself am more calm, and I've never been governed by money. And I insist that it hasn't crossed my mind to leave Barça. I just think about giving everything for the team and the club.

Is the 'triple crown' possible this season?
The titles of League, Cup and Champions are possible, but with work, not words. Now it seems we have forgotten to lose, but we have not won anything, just games. If you start talking about something that you will only achieve with dedication and sacrifice, you've lost already. But 'losing' seems to have disappeared from the Barça dictionary... because Guardiola is the biggest winner of this dressing-room full of winners. And because with Messi we have an extra 'bonus'. He is a phenomenon.

Is Sergio Busquets a rival for a spot in the starting eleven or it's better to have both of you in the team?
I like Sergio Busquets, he has Barça within himself, and I like to play with him. He is very good and very good for Barça. As well as Gudjohnsen is.

And who is your 'Golden Ball' pick?
For me, Iniesta is a 'Golden Ball' winner, and also Alves.

With your hand on your heart and looking at the goals you score with the "elephants" (Ivory Coast national team): wouldn't you like to be as offensive as Dani Alves?
I think not. I like my spot and I think as a team member, we need to ensure that they don't harm our best players.

Ramon Canal, head of medical services of FC Barcelona, has explained that the team diet was adapted to muslim players like you and Keita, and that it has given excellent results for the performance of the team.
It is very healthy food, and it possibly helps, yes.


Translated by: Riis


Read more:
Touré: "That goal was a bit lucky"
Henry: "Messi sometimes looks like Maradona"
Toure repeats wish of staying a long time

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMO best defensive midfielder in the world. I like him as a player and as a person. All the best for Yaya, I hope he stays with us for many years.

Anonymous said...

yayazos?nice xD

Anonymous said...

He seems in love with barca and sounded so much like a big brother out to protect his lil bruvas.
got to love d dude

Anonymous said...

i would like to see busquets playing the holding role and toure play in that keita/guddy role. not all the time but to try it out, toure is very good going forward

Anonymous said...

"I would only leave out of my own will if I saw that I no longer have the energy necessary to protect my fellow team-mates from being kicked."

Hey Yaya, you are in a war a what? =D

Yayazos, I also heard it first time. Yeah, great name =D

Custom Search
 
Custom Search