Tuesday 16 June 2009

Puyol: "Barca is stronger with Eto'o"

Barcelona player Carles Puyol gave an interview to Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo.





With Eto'o last year, it has been said that it was the players who convinced Guardiola to keep him...
What I think convinced him was his attitude and his quality. I think he had a spectacular season and we have always said that Samu is great. To me, he's the best center forward in the world, because of how he works and what he gives to the team. It's hard to find a player like him.

I would assume that if you were Txiki Begiristain, you would give him a contract renewal?
Those in charge should do it, but I believe that Barca with Eto'o is stronger. Then you have to listen to Barca and then the player. Here, every part of the team is important and you need to find what's best for everyone.

It's also your turn. Your contract expires the summer of 2010...
I'm very relaxed. I have a year left but I'm not worried. Now it's time to celebrate the triplete, play with the national team and then we'll see how everything turns out.

What if they offer you a short contract and a slight raise?
I don't know what the club is thinking because I haven't talked to them. When we talk, we will see.

Is it possible that you fulfill this contract and nothing more?
I really don't know. I have a contract and we'll see. My hope is to stay and then listen to what the club says. If they still think I have something to add to the team, I'll stay.

Do you maintain the desire to begin and finish at this club?
The idea is grand, aside from difficult. It's a goal that keeps me motivated.

How many years do you have left of playing football?
I feel well physically and I'm hopeful. But I can't guess how many more years I'll play.

This season, how have you felt playing at so many positions, versatile or dizzy?
Not one thing or the other. I have felt like an important player and I have played many matches. I have been changed positions often, but I'm here to help the team and the coach decides what is best to win matches. I have always respected the manager because I understand that he looks for the best.

It has been said that you don't have decent possession of the ball, something that is key in Guardiola's style...
I don't have anything to say. What I do is try to improve every day and do the best I can with what I have and that's it. Then the coach decides. This isn't a problem. I have played often and I'm happy.

Speaking of central defenders, what can you say about Piqué?
I think that he is a key to this group. He's a very important player, who gives much to the team both in and off the pitch. He has a spectacular future and I think that we have made a great signing.

And Messi?
Pfff! Saying more things about Leo is complicated. I value everything that he has done with the team. That's very hard to do and people don't realize, but us who have been there knows the obligations and he has done them. That's what stands out the most, and it is certainly important in this case.

Give us an example.
Leo often goes down the field to try to defend on the wing. It's rare to see players do something like this but he has done it. I know that many say that it's his job, but it's complicated for important players to work so much for the team, but it's the only way. If you want to win, you must do it.

Have you thanked Messi?
Yes. Everyone and I. Because we know that if we don't all feel like we're together, it's hard. You can win one day but it's almost impossible to win the triplete. That's why we won.

Iniesta, the man of the year. He is more important more than ever thanks to his football... and because of how he is imitated in the media.
Andres is relaxed but very silly. To me, he's a phenomenon. I laugh at the imitation but it's clearly an exaggeration. He isn't so lifeless. He's a great friend and I'm lucky to play with him.

Pep Guardiola. The best?
Now it's easy to say that he is a phenomenon. You need to congratulate him for what he has done and also those who counted on him. It was a risky decision. He has earned everything because he has worked hard and because he got his message to the team, and well... you've seen what he has done.

He's the best coach you've ever had?
Without a doubt, one of the best. I think that every day you learn something new from him. Every day he teaches you something and it's great. We need to appreciate him. Also, he is obsessed, he is always thinking about football, matches, and analyzing the opponents. I think that he and the rest of the team have done great work. All that remains are results.

After all of this, who would you give the Ballon d'Or to?
I really don't like the Ballon d'Or. It's difficult to award only one player. I'd give it to Barca. To the entire team. And to Maldini, for his entire career. And to Messi, of course.



read the first part of this interview here:
Puyol: "People don't stop thanking me"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i didn't understand what he sad about Andres? Can you people pleas explain me? Did he meen that Andres is stupid?

Carrer de Corsega said...

There is this very popular show called Crackovia. It's a comedy show that imitates players. The most famous ones are Iniesta and Guti impressions.

Iniesta's character is just dull and lifeless. They call him gusiluz, spanish glow in the dark dolls for kids that have pale faces. This is the clip that made it famous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5YnDMbifDs&feature=fvst

Just to show you how popular this show is, listen to RAC1 commentator for the Chelsea-Barcelona game. He makes reference to the clip when Iniesta scores: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK-6PQWSOu4

Yeah so that's what they meant by "lifeless" and "imitation" in the interview.

Custom Search
 
Custom Search